Menstrual Hygiene Day
The theme for MH Day 2019 is “It’s Time for Action” with a special focus on action in the critical area of MHM education.
Proposed Activities for the event will include the following:
The occasion will be held in Accra as an indoor event instead of an open air or outdoor event. The proposed venue is the Accra International Conference Centre where high level officials would be invited to deliberate on how to move MHM to the next level. The Keynote Address for this year’s commemoration is expected to be delivered by her Excellency, Mrs. Samira Bawumia, Second Lady and wife of the Vice President of the Republic of Ghana. The Guest of Honours will be the Minister for Gender, Children and Social Protection and the Deputy Minister for Education.
The proposed activities will include the following:
- Drama by selected school children
- Poetry recitals, recordings of experiences from girls and boys on MHM, short documentary on girls experiences
- Short statements to be delivered by the following: Traditional leader, Youth Ambassador to Advocate on behalf of the Youth, NGO Lead (CONIWAS) and Development Partners lead (UNICEF)
Interaction with community members
Participants will interact with community members on MHM and the importance of observing good menstrual hygiene practices.
Other activities will include the following:
- Panel discussion by central government level policy personalities and key stakeholders to consider government's policy and positive drive towards social change in MHM.
- Regional and district-level activities in schools across Ghana using graphic novels on MHM (MHM graphic novels should be developed) and other materials.