Water and sanitation for development
Activities of IRC at the AfWW-4 will focus on Monitoring for Action: Improving WASH Sector Performance and Sustainable Service Delivery, on which IRC will lead a session on 17 May together with Water and Sanitation for Africa (WSA).
The IRC delegation at the AfWW-4 will be composed of experts and staff members from various countries including Ghana, Uganda, Ethiopia and The Netherlands.
IRC and WASH sector monitoring
The IRC and WSA session on Monitoring for Action on 17 May
Improving WASH Sector Performance and Sustainable Service Delivery will be part of the AfWW-4 theme Water and Sanitation for Development. IRC and WSA will address the following key challenges in their session:
- What are the biggest challenges and main weaknesses for the Joint Monitoring Programme (JMP) and its monitoring approach? What will happen after 2015?
- What are the main challenges for WASH monitoring on the national level? What was e.g. the reason for the National WASH Inventory initiative in Ethiopia? What problems does it address?
- What are the main challenges in (re)designing monitoring systems around new technologies? What is needed in addition to technology?
The session will concentrate primarily on good practices as well as new and innovative emerging solutions for monitoring, and that contribute to better WASH sector performance and sustainable service delivery. Some of the cases and cutting edge experiences to be shared during the session are:
- (Draft) Indicators for monitoring post-MDGs.
- Ghana: Monitoring sustainable services using FLOW and other mapping technologies based on mobile telephone technologies
- Uganda: Use of mobile phones for improving sector responses to service breakdowns and monitoring service delivery
- Ethiopia: National WASH Inventory
IRC will have a booth at the AfWW-4. Here you can always meet one of our staff, find out more, and set up a meeting with one of our experts. IRC experts and staff members at AfWW-4 include:
- Erma Uytewaal, Director Africa Programme
- Sören Bauer, Senior Advisor Strategic Communications
- Marieke Adank, Programme Officer, Africa Programme
- Ms Esinu Abbey, IT Coordinator, Community Water and Sanitation Agency, Ghana
- Tamene Hailu, NWI Coordinator, Ministry of Water and Energy, Ethiopia
- Chemisto Satya Ali, Advisor, Joint WASH Programme, IRC-SNV Uganda
- Mathew Ocholi, Director Program Support and Development, Water and Sanitation for Africa (WSA)
Keep up to date
You can also follow IRC updates on its participation in the AfWW-4 on the following social media channels:
- the Aid Effectiveness blog http://washaideffectiveness.wordpress.com/
- the WASH Finance blog http://washfinance.wordpress.com/
- the water services that last blog http://www.waterservicesthatlast.wordpress.com
- @IRCWASH on Twitter
- IRC’s Facebook page on http://www.facebook.com/ircwash
Sören Bauer, Senior Advisor Strategic Communications – email@example.com
For further information about IRC International Water and Sanitation Centre, see www.irc.nl. For more general information about AfWW-4 see